Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanriowa

Garlic Recommendations for Midwest

deanriowa
13 years ago

I just finished harvesting garlic for the first time and I am curing the following varieties:

Softneck

Red Toch

Thermadrone

Hardneck

Chrysalis Purple

Georgian Crystal

Georgian Fire

German Hardy

Leningrad

All of them did quite well, and I have been using some of the garlic that the necks broke. The flavor is much better then any store bought I have tried.

I plan to grow all of these varieties again next season, but I would like to add a few more to my collection. I am looking for one or two that will become my personal favorites.

Any recommendations that suit the following ?

• Do well in Midwest(Iowa-4b/5a)
  • Either softnecks and hardnecks
  • That hold well
  • Maybe a couple that have some bit to them

After I get some more ideas, I plan on trading, ordering via SSE or Internet for these varieties. I figure 4 more types or so.

Dean

Comments (10)

• bloosquall
    13 years ago

I have seen a different kind of Rocambole, it's called Slovenian. Good size bulb and some years smoking hot. I believe the purple stripes have the best flavor. Maybe try some Khabar.

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bloosquall ,

Thank you the Slovenian & Khabar recommendations, they sound like what I am looking for in a garlic.

Do you have any Softneck recommendations as well?

thanks,
    Dean

• bloosquall
    13 years ago

Dean,

My experience with artichokes is they are very simiar in taste. I have Lorz Italian and Inchelium, Lorz is so close to Thermadrone why even both having it. Inchelium is spicier and worth ahving a few around to eat raw in your sandwich for lunch. You already have Red Toch, that one was made famous by a man who wrote a book and said Tock was his favorite...probably why I'm sold out even before shipping has started. You don't have any Silver Skins...long storage and more of a bite that any artichoke.

-bloo

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got a recommendation of "Nootka Rose" as a softneck from a gentleman who grow lots of garlic and lists in the SSE yearbook. Any thoughts on Nootka Rose? My only reservation with the "Nootka Rose" is that it has up to 20 cloves, which seems like too many.

thanks,

Dean

• rxkeith
    13 years ago

dean,

i have grown nootka rose for a few years. it is a super long storing garlic. it easily stores for over a year and will still look like new when all your other garlic is dried up shells. the cloves are long and slender, and the inner ones will be really narrow. the thing with nootka rose is the clove skin is very thin, and difficult to peel. ever get a hard boiled egg where the shell comes off bit by bit by bit? that's kinda how it is peeling nootka rose.you just have to keep at it. you will have enough decent size cloves to use. i think its worth growing. use all your other garlic first.

keith

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Keith,

Thanks for the information on the Nootka Rose, looks like it has added to my grow list.

Any other Softnecks you could recommend?

thanks,
    Dean

• rxkeith
    13 years ago

i have also grown inchelium red that bloo mentioned, and agree that its worth growing. another one i have grown a couple of years now it kettle river giant. it is a very impressive size soft neck that should tolerate the winter.i want to continue growing this one to see how it does year in and year out.

keith

• bloosquall
    13 years ago

I had a good year with the Nootka, Silver Rose is very similiar but bigger..I think they both taste and look the same...only bigger. I had Kettle River Giant in the past..it is a giant when it grows well. We're talking over 3", Mild flavor. I heard from an east coast grower that the Lorz grown over there is very warm ? Mine is quite mild. Location and soil matters I guess.

• bloosquall
    13 years ago

I had a good year with the Nootka, Silver Rose is very similiar but bigger..I think they both taste and look the same...only bigger. I had Kettle River Giant in the past..it is a giant when it grows well. We're talking over 3", Mild flavor. I heard from an east coast grower that the Lorz grown over there is very warm ? Mine is quite mild. Location and soil matters I guess.

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have just added to next year's grow list the following hardnecks after a generous offer from a follow forum member:

• Red Estonian
    • Wildfire
    • MartinÂs Heirloom.

For softnecks, I am going to request some Nootka, and look for some Kettle River giant.

Thank you for the recommendations.

Dean