Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grocery Store Garlic is no Good

Posted by achang89 Central NJ Z6b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 14:54

I know that grocery store garlic was sprayed on. So gardeners should plant them.

I have quite a few cloves of garlic that sent out greet shoots. So instead of throwing them away, I planted them. From the beginning, they grew a couple of inches. But have stopped growing. I think the spray made them not to grow any more.

I just do not know why they sent out the green shoots in the first place.

I'll probably dig up them and use them. Then get the good garlic in the fall for planting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grocery Store Garlic is no Good

They are probably from China since a whole lot of garlic is coming from there. We have no idea what they use as a sprout deterrent but 9 out of 10 cloves I've purchased have a dark heart. Not good eating.

IMO ordering garlic to plant online is preferable but you may want to check farmers in your area that offer garlic at their farmers markets stands and plant those. They would be local and grown in the right climate you live in.

Nancy

o

A great reason to grow your own garlic is to ensure that it hasn't been treated with growth inhibitors, fungicides, insecticides and/or bleached with chlorine to make it look whiter. At a minimum, imported garlic has been treated with growth inhibitors and likely one or more of the others.

o

When did you plant it? That you are writing this message now, all garlic growing will die back around now.

o

I have never had a problem with grocery store garlic. I plant it all the time, and when the green turns straw color, I just hang the garlic in the shade to dry. No problem. Free garlic.

o

Better order you fall seed garlic pretty soon. A whole lot of sources are already sold out for 2014.

o

Check Portland OR craigslist for a great garlic seed source. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here