Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Softneck garlic reverting to hardneck?

Posted by price403 Zone 6b, WV (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 15:28

Both of my softneck garlic varieties have grown well with our unusually mild winter and warm spring. On a few bulbs I have noticed a knot in the stalk about 4 or 5 inches above the bulb. I thought it was a possible injury site that had healed and kept growing. After harvesting the garlic and curing it I noticed that the knots have grown so I split one of the stalks. It turns out it is a short scape. There are 4 to 6 bulbils on each of the ones that have done this. It is from softneck varieties that I have grown for a few years and have never had this happen before.
Is this something garlic does when grown in a warmer than usual year or could it be a possible mutation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Softneck garlic reverting to hardneck?

I've read that softneck varieties were bred to "not-scape", but will generate scapes when stressed.

o

I have softneck varieties that scape consistently and hardneck that sometimes fail to scape. No hard and fast rule when Mother Nature is involved, it appears. Too many variables.

o

I too experienced my softneck variety producing scapes this year. I believe i read somewhere that heat can cause this..I can believe that because the last 10-12 days they were in the ground (pulled 10 days ago), it was extremely hot, I live in Dayton, OH. Besides the 'off' winter i think everyone had, i would definitely say they have been stressed this year.
I suppose my predisposition to selective planting for larger bulbs, longer storage, ...no scapes on my softnecks..., will lead me to keep them separated & Not put any of those that set scapes back into the ground.
???

o

Thanks for all the replies. I'll make sure to only replant bulbs that didn't send up a scape this fall. Hopefully we have a normal winter this year. I've been having trouble with more insects than normal this year and I attribute some of it to the unseasonably warm and short winter we had.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here