Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID-ing grocery store garlic

Posted by phantom_white Z6 (ruckus1837@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 15:39

I hear that garlic can't be hybridized and that any garlic bought in the store is probably not "messed with" as far as genetics go. If that's the case, does anyone know if normal supermarkets sell heirloom varieties? I usually buy garlic from Walmart and have gotten solid white, white with pink stripes, white with deep purple clove skin, and some that was brownish. I always end up having some of the cloves sprout, so would they be worth cultivating even if I didn't know what they were? I planted a bunch a couple week ago that sprouted and they're coming up right now...

Abby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID-ing grocery store garlic

Most grocery store garlic is softneck type because they are large, store long, and have lots of cloves, i.e. good marketing properties. Historically these have been California Early or California Late, but since most such garlic now comes from China I am not sure of the variety. Many are treated to prevent sprouting, so planting garlic from the grocery store may or may not work (but usually does).

Garlic should be planted mid October to mid November in zone 6, so the ones you just planted will not form bulbs, but can be used as garlic scallions.

If you are looking for specialty or gourmet garlic I suggest you try www.wegrowgarlic.com and bloosquallsgarlicfarm.com.

TomNJ

o

Don't forget to check out local farmers markets for garlic to grow. If itis from your area then all the better as it will be acclimated already.

Also, check out alternative grocery stores, healthfood stores, co-ops and the like as they many times specialize in locally grown produce.

I have had really good luck with a white grocery store variety. I think it might be late Italian, but I am not sure. Purchased garlic for seen that was not organic as it was the nicest looking of the lot. Grew it one year and it is considerably fuller than what I started with.

"Any garlic is better than no garlic" has been my mantra for many years so I take what I get and am grateful when it exceeds my expectations.

o

The checks in the mail Tom...I have found the garlic at walmart to be straight from China...ewww. From what I've seen the bulbs with the concave bottoms where the roots were are from China. I have no idea what they may be.

o

I planted Chinese garlic here in mn from some bulbs that sprouted last fall what a waste of space my hard necks are doing super but it might be climate related

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here