Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justagrip

What to plant where my garlic was harvested

largemouth
12 years ago

About to finish pulling up the last of my garlic about 65 miles north of NYC.

I will have a very fertile almost 20X20' area that will do nothing until November when I replant.

What do you guys plant in between harvesting and replanting?

Comments (5)

• obrionusa
    12 years ago

I always follow up my onions with green bush beans. Why? Because I hate picking green beans in the heat of July. If I plant in July I will pick in September.
    Oh, and save a little room for sugar snap peas.

• jolj
    12 years ago

20 X 20' is not real big, but is a nice size garden.
    You do not rotate your garlic, onions & leeks with other crop?
    Do you mulch to keep the cold wind & Spring weeds down in your garden. If Yes, then what & how much mulch.
    I got that you plant beans in the garlic bed, after harvesting the garlic.
    Do you move your garlic to another spot or always plant the same plot.

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I plant bush beans, pole beans, cilantro, basil, and cucumbers.

• largemouth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions. I truly appreciate it.

To jolj, your reply is kind of all over the place, without actually answering my question. You asked the same question twice (do I rotate my garlic, then, do I move my garlic to another spot each year), and also commented negatively and positively in the same sentence ("20 X 20' is not real big, but is a nice size garden."). Then you added that you "got" that I planted beans in my garlic bed after harvesting, when my original question was what to plant in that spot after I harvested.

Not sure you understood my question. But, I will try to respond to your questions.

Third year I planted garlic in the same spot.

Finally, I mulch HEAVILY after planting, 5-6 inches of fall leaves and grass clippings mixed. On the edge of zone 5 and 6, I plant my cloves 4 inches deep, in raised mounds, on a slight slope.

And I truly appreciate that you responded to my question. Thinking your response is from a veteran garlic grower who has a little edge. Just the kind of grower I am looking for advice from.

So, advise me....

• alphonse
    12 years ago

"What do you guys plant in between harvesting and replanting?"

After harvest I dig in a couple inches of horse manure and sow buckwheat on top. 6 weeks is the average optimal time to turn it under (depending on rainfall) so that gives a short period before planting (usually mid November for me) when I add compost and pick out rocks. I grow more rocks than I do garlic.

The same bed has been used mebbe ten years now; haven't had any trouble though there are wire worms here that ruin sweet potatoes and other root crops.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner