Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant where my garlic was harvested

Posted by largemouth Z6 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 15:42

About to finish pulling up the last of my garlic about 65 miles north of NYC.

I will have a very fertile almost 20X20' area that will do nothing until November when I replant.

What do you guys plant in between harvesting and replanting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant where my garlic was harvested

I always follow up my onions with green bush beans. Why? Because I hate picking green beans in the heat of July. If I plant in July I will pick in September.
Oh, and save a little room for sugar snap peas.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 10:02

20 X 20' is not real big, but is a nice size garden.
You do not rotate your garlic, onions & leeks with other crop?
Do you mulch to keep the cold wind & Spring weeds down in your garden. If Yes, then what & how much mulch.
I got that you plant beans in the garlic bed, after harvesting the garlic.
Do you move your garlic to another spot or always plant the same plot.

o

I plant bush beans, pole beans, cilantro, basil, and cucumbers.

o

Thanks for your suggestions. I truly appreciate it.

To jolj, your reply is kind of all over the place, without actually answering my question. You asked the same question twice (do I rotate my garlic, then, do I move my garlic to another spot each year), and also commented negatively and positively in the same sentence ("20 X 20' is not real big, but is a nice size garden."). Then you added that you "got" that I planted beans in my garlic bed after harvesting, when my original question was what to plant in that spot after I harvested.

Not sure you understood my question. But, I will try to respond to your questions.

Third year I planted garlic in the same spot.

Finally, I mulch HEAVILY after planting, 5-6 inches of fall leaves and grass clippings mixed. On the edge of zone 5 and 6, I plant my cloves 4 inches deep, in raised mounds, on a slight slope.

And I truly appreciate that you responded to my question. Thinking your response is from a veteran garlic grower who has a little edge. Just the kind of grower I am looking for advice from.

So, advise me....

o

"What do you guys plant in between harvesting and replanting?"

After harvest I dig in a couple inches of horse manure and sow buckwheat on top. 6 weeks is the average optimal time to turn it under (depending on rainfall) so that gives a short period before planting (usually mid November for me) when I add compost and pick out rocks. I grow more rocks than I do garlic.

The same bed has been used mebbe ten years now; haven't had any trouble though there are wire worms here that ruin sweet potatoes and other root crops.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here