Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More newbie questions...

Posted by dgkritch Z8 OR (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 15:49

I dug up my garlic on Sunday, removed most of the dirt and set them in a wicker basket (very loosely, lots of air around each) to dry.

1. When can I braid them and hang them up?

2. How/where do you store the cloves you intend to use for planting this fall?

TIA,
Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More newbie questions...

Deanna,

I don't braid mine (hardnecks really don't like to braid!) but a quick search of this forum for those folks that do seems to indicate that you'll want to wait until the garlic is fully dried down - probably another week or two if you dug on Sunday - and then do the braiding to get a nice tight braid that doesn't get loose if the garlic necks shrink a little more.

Once the garlic is fully cured and the tops are crispy, I cut the stalks off leaving around an inch or so of stem, cut the roots down to around a quarter of an inch and then take the planting stock and hang it in a mesh bag in an open pantry. Actually, any area that has good ventilation, out of direct sunlight and not in the low 40's to high 50's (which seems to be the prime zone for garlic to want to start sprouting again) would be a good choice.

o

Thank you.
The necks even seemed to damp to braid now, but not sure how it's going to work if they are really brittle/dry??
Or do they stay pliable for a long time (2 weeks)?

I will store my "planters" as suggested!
Deanna

o

If the braids really feel brittle and dry, maybe just misting them with a little water will rehydrate just enough to allow them to braid? I'd imagine just a really humid day would be enough to get them soft enough after 2 weeks.

o

I do lots of braids each year and most are braides in september after a June harvest so mine are dry. The best thing to do is set them under a shade tree on a very humid day. Or if you don't have the humidity we do just put a damp towel over the leaves or spray the leaves with a little water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here