Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garlic varieties and planting times for northern ky/southern ohio

Posted by kerry_in_ky z6a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 05 at 16:02

I had my first harvest of garlic this year. This spring I planged some I had picked up at the local Krogers, the regular type and a head of elephant garlic.

During the last couple of weeks the tops started turning and fell over. Its been pretty wet here for about a week or so and two of the 15 or so that I planted had started rotting so I dug all of them this morning. It was probably a little early but most had formed heads, not as big as I would have liked but heads anyway.

1. What is a good variety for my area and should they be planted in the fall or spring? Our longest days are almost 15 hrs long in the summer (not sure if that matters) and we are in zone 6a.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garlic varieties and planting times for northern ky/southern

Kerry,

You can plant in October, November, or December with no problems here in Kentucky.

If you plant too early, though, they tend to sprout rather high before going through their cold dormancy period. I've pretty much settled on Thanksgiving for planting, which seems to create a good balance.

As to varieties, virtually any will grow. My experience has been that softnecks do better than hardnecks, however. But I still grow hardnecks, because as a class they taste better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here