Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fresh garlic supposed to be so 'wet' inside?

Posted by pdxmark 8, Portland, OR (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 16:33

I tried to wait to harvest my garlic until 1/3 or more leaves were brown. I think I did, but maybe I fudged it a little. Anyway, after a couple weeks of the garlic hanging in the warm garage to cure, the first cloves from the first head seem pretty moist inside and don't give alot of garlic-y pulp when crushed. Did I harvest too early or will they dry/cure over time?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fresh garlic supposed to be so 'wet' inside?

Gosh! I'm the same as you. My first attempt at planting sprouting garlic cloves was a couple months ago. I stuck em in by the roses because aphids don't like garlic. And I recently noticed all that green was dying, so I dug em up. Braided them together, and hung them on a boganvilla vine to dry.

They are absolutely delicious!!

You can freeze garlic, so I may have to do that, but I am happy with this first attempt. Mine are not wet inside. Just yummy. Maybe because I dried them in the sun?

o

They should cure in time. Make sure they have good air circulation. If you can't leave some windows open in the garage, consider hanging them outside under a roof or in an airy shed, protected from rain.

TomNJ

o

• Posted by pdxmark 8, POrtland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 19:34

Thanks TomNJ. I think there's pretty good air circulation in the garage. I've tried just a soft neck so far. Next I'll try one of the hard necks.

In retrospect, I suppose i should have known the issue when I cut the head off it's leaves. The stalk wasn't dry all the way through when I cut it. That might be the sign that it's cured.

o

I've noticed the fresh garlic I get from a local farmer (I haven't grown my own successfully yet) seems "wetter" and crispier inside, almost more like an onion than store bought garlic.

I assumed it's either because of freshness or a varietal difference.

Sure is yummy though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here