Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wcthomas_gw

Washing garlic after harvest

wcthomas
17 years ago

While most growers seem to recommend that garlic not be washed with water after harvest and before curing, I have found some who do say to wash. This year I washed my softnecks with a strong but fine spray from the hose after digging, set them in the sun for an hour to dry, and then hung them under a roof to cure. They look so nice when clean and I have not observed any problems, but wanted to see what others have experienced.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments (10)

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

You're right on both counts, Tom.

Most authorities recommend against washing. But several of us here, me among them, wash all the time.

Rather than using a hose, I swish them around in a pail of water, one at a time, until all (or most) of the dirt has come off. Then I do pretty much as you do, letting them air dry, and then hanging.

I do not set them in the sun, though, because that can actually cook the cloves. Instead, I lay them out in a warm, airy location out of the sun. And as soon as they are dry they get bundled and hung to cure.

• wcthomas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Gardenlad! Just wanted to make sure there was not some unknown harm I needed to worry about.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

The only possible harm is if they remain wet for any length of time. That can lead to rot.

But even if they're damp, they should cure properly when hung. That's no different, really, than lifting them from moist soil and hanging directly.

• Bharat Paliwal
    2 years ago

Looks like I made a mistake - I chopped the bulbs off and washed them. Can I still air dry them and store or is it better to figure out ways to finish them off sooner (including share the excess with neighbours :) )?

• carrie webber
    2 years ago

my husband did the same thing to mine (without checking with me first- grr) so I’m wondering how yours are doing

• wcthomas
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You can try air drying them. I would place them in an airy location away from sun and rain, perhaps with a fan blowing air over them, and with the cut stem pointing up. Success may depend on how much stem is left. If cut close to the bulb them may not cure well. If you see mold forming on the stem I would peel, chop, and freeze them in a quarter inch layer in ziplock bags. I don't know if this would work but worth a try.

Alternatively you can peel, chop and freeze them now. While garlic tastes better and peels easier if allowed to cure for a few weeks, it is still strong and tasty without curing.

• carrie webber
    2 years ago

Thank you for responding ill try it

• Krista Royal
    2 years ago

This is making me feel better. I wasn't thinking and pulled my garlic swished around in water and peeled of the first layer for a clean look... did I totally ruin my harvest?

• wcthomas
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No, your harvest should be fine. I harvest when I have five mostly green leaves left, and then peel down the fifth green leaf to clean my garlic before curing. Interestingly, the garlic bulbs then develop deep red/purple streaks which last for a couple of weeks and then the bulbs turn white again.

Sometimes if you wash the bulbs with water and don't immediately dry them, the outer wrapper layer will get a bit wrinkled. I have not tried washing and then peeling down a green leaf, but then washing is not useful if you peel down as that alone delivers nice clean bulbs.

• carrie webber
    2 years ago

I put them in front of a fan and dehumidifier for a day and they seemed dry pretty well. but now i know for next time. thanks for the advice!

Sponsored