Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumfan_gw

what would you do with lots of leek sets ?

plumfan
17 years ago

Spring of 2005 I planted several hundred leek seeds in a "nursery" area about 12 inches by 12 inches in my garden. I let them get around 6 inches tall before I prick out the best looking ones and plant my large row of leeks. Well, I was too busy to do anything with the nursery area, so it stayed alive all summer, even tho they rarely got watered and did not get very tall, as they were all bunched together.

This spring, 2006, I thought I had torn all the little guys in the nursery out, knowing that they had vernalized over the winter and would only want to go to seed. So I mercilessly tore what I could out of the ground, ripping off the above ground portions of the rest.

Now I need the small area for part of my Babbington leek bed, and upon digging, I find all these Leek Sets, just like onions sets you might purchase in a store.

Can I somehow store these for leek plants next year, or will they want to flower when they grow?

Can they be refrigerated to any advantage?

Just what are these sets good for?

There was the rare bulbil noted on a set, but 99% of these little guys look like sets.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms