Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what would you do with lots of leek sets ?

Posted by plumfan Z8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 16:50

Spring of 2005 I planted several hundred leek seeds in a "nursery" area about 12 inches by 12 inches in my garden. I let them get around 6 inches tall before I prick out the best looking ones and plant my large row of leeks. Well, I was too busy to do anything with the nursery area, so it stayed alive all summer, even tho they rarely got watered and did not get very tall, as they were all bunched together.

This spring, 2006, I thought I had torn all the little guys in the nursery out, knowing that they had vernalized over the winter and would only want to go to seed. So I mercilessly tore what I could out of the ground, ripping off the above ground portions of the rest.

Now I need the small area for part of my Babbington leek bed, and upon digging, I find all these Leek Sets, just like onions sets you might purchase in a store.

Can I somehow store these for leek plants next year, or will they want to flower when they grow?

Can they be refrigerated to any advantage?

Just what are these sets good for?

There was the rare bulbil noted on a set, but 99% of these little guys look like sets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what would you do with lots of leek sets ?

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 0:27

Store them. Same as garlic or onions. Cook with them like shallots. Plant them and harvest before they go to seed. Let them go to seed and when stalk is dry, you will have more little sets/bulbs (and seed) to store and plant again. I'm on the third year from original seed. Works great here.

o
RE: what would you do with lots of leek sets ?

I'd trade some for other things you want.

And be sure not to plant the leek anywhere near your elephant garlic - or ornamental Allium - as they can look very much alike - and that can cause uncertainty about exactly what to pull for cooking as an actual Leek.. You'll also be unsure about which to mulch/blanch for more tender white Leek stems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here