Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty4150

Propagating onions from seed

patty4150
16 years ago

I have several questions and thought i would ask them all in one place.

A few years agoI planted about 6 types of onions. Some of them were from seed exchanges, some were from sets I bought at the store, and some were from a seed catalog. Anyway, I planted a bunch of types, so that I would find out what kind makes nice tasty bulbs for us.

Two types made nice tasty bulbs for us. I have let those types make seed (I am now at the end of the second year of the experiment.). I was careful to not let them cross pollinate with anuthing else, so I am not worried about the seeds purity; that isn't one of my questions.

My questions are:

1. How to grow sets. I found one website that says:
Propagate by seed - To grow your own onion sets, sow seeds thickly in a block in midsummer. About 2 months after planting, roll down the tops, forcing the plants to form small bulbs. (Those about the size of a dime work best.) After tops dry, clip them off, leaving about ½ inch of stem. Cure and store in a cool, dry place as you would onions for eating. Plant your sets the following spring.

How thickly should I plant the seeds, and what does it mean to roll down the tops?

1b. How do I cure the onions, and how do I store them?

2. There appears to be a small corm or bulb at the base of the seed stalk, but only on one variety that I grew. Will this make an onion, as well? SHould I pull it and cure it, or let it be? It is firm, elongated, and about the size of a large onion set (although tapered, it looks sort of like a garlic clove.)

3 How do I store the seeds that I haven't planted? Do I refrigerate them, in a paper envelope, or is there a better method?

I will post more questions as I remember them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for quote above

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations