Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to garlic in So California!

Posted by gman68558 z10 So Cal (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 17:28

Hi all. Been learning a lot reading through this forum.

Hoping to plant some garlic in the fall. Anything specific I should be aware of living in So. Cal? I am actually very close to the ocean so it never gets super hot in the summer, and the winters are fairly mild.

My main question regards planting time. In October it can still be fairly warm here - should I hold off planting until maybe Nov or early December?

I ordered the warm winter assortment from Gourmet Garlic Gardens to get me started. The planting area will be on a narrow south facing deck - I will need to construct a planting bed of some type.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to garlic in So California!

Hi gman,

I, too, am a garlic newbie in SoCal. I know I was told to wait to plant garlic until November (it's hot here through October as well). I did that last year and just harvested some softneck I got from my brother in Seattle. Other than the fact that I didn't feed them at all (didn't know they were heavy feeders!), they look great and I got several really large bulbs regardless. All bulbs formed cloves except one!

Maybe someone else can comment on what specific kinds of garlic to grow - I do think softneck are easiest in the south, although I intend to try hardnecks, too.

Good luck!

o
RE: New to garlic in So California!

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 21, 05 at 15:07

I am in northern Ca with temps often in excess of 100F. I have two un-named purple stripes which do very well here. I suggest checking out the purple stripe varities for ones that might do well in S Ca.
Kettle River Giant, California White, German Porcelin, Music/Musik, Italian Purple, and Elephant all did OK to very well. These are all 12 to 16" tall by early spring most years.
My pet gopher left me with only one Kettle River Giant this year. I have given up on most of these as the purple stripes are the easiest to grow and as long as I put in plenty of Elephants, the gophers leave the Purple Stripes alone. Besides, my wife resists useing any but the Purple Stripes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here