Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keltickreek

Need garlic growing help please.

keltickreek
9 years ago

Hi all,

So I'll try to keep this short but give as much info as possible.

2 years ago I bought a few lbs of garlic seed from a couple different sources.

Harvest last year was good, lost a bit to too much water and small things but not bad for a first year. One of the strains, Hungarian, seemed a little moist and brown on the bottom, with the root stem kinda peeling away from the bulbs. Just by instinct I put them aside and took care of the rest with curing etc,

Last year I planted this years stock,
(Error 1) planted in same location as last year.
(Error 2) thru ignorance I planted some of the Hungarian in the plot with other garlic.

This year almost half the garlic had the same browny kinda rot and now when I'm looking closer i see tiny oval shaped white bugs running in and out of the root openings and pretty sure I saw a couple maybe 1/4 inch white worms swimming between the layers of skin when I peel it away.

So... I am not using any stock from last year for this year, we are ordering brand new stuff from a couple pro garlic growers, we are sanitizing all work areas and utensils and moving this years plot 200 ft away.

I googled a bit but didn't see anything super useful so thought id come to the experts.

What is this that has infected my garlic and soil and how do i deal with it effectively? We are hoping to start growing our garlic every year so I have to nip this in the bulb now...

Any help would be great appreciated, we are planting maybe 20 lbs this year and couldn't stomach this continuing.

Thank you in advance

RF

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville