Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing garlic in 11 gallon containers?

Posted by ziyakr 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 17:47

Ok, I've been looking into trying garlic for the first time this year but almost all my gardening is done in containers. It seems the consensus is that garlic is pretty iffy in containers but would something very large (I use 11 gallon tubs for tomatoes, peppers and zucchini) and in a protected outdoor area maybe be more successful? Seems like in my zone 6 area (just outside Kansas City) they would freeze in the ground anyway but maybe I am missing something. I could easily plant garlic in my tubs once my veggies are done, and they should be ready to harvest right about the time I would want to replant veggies in late spring.

BTW, whoever posted the link to wegrowgarlic.com I owe you are thank you. I learned alot from that site and am hoping to get my starts from them.

Ziya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing garlic in 11 gallon containers?

They should do okay if you can insulate the pots by piling mulch around them or something. The point is while they can tolerate chilling and even light freezing in the ground, soil in an unprotected pot can get much colder. Same applies to heat in the spring and summer.

o
RE: growing garlic in 11 gallon containers?

I agree w/ gemini jim, what will they tolerate in an above ground container. I might not use something as big as an 11 gal as garlic roots do not get that deep. I would think something about 12" deep would do.
I plant in raised beds and the bulbs are barely @ the 'original' soil level.
I would try it, just mulch heavy and possibly around the container. I've had tulips overwinter outside in pots...
Good luck & let us know in about a year...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here