Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
onion harvesting question

Posted by JLem 6 (MA) (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 17:55

Apologies for asking a basic question that has probably been answered before somewhere in the annals of the forum....

I have a small patch of yellow Stuttgarter onions that seem to have done quite well (planted from sets). At the moment all the stalks have fallen over, but are still green. I can see the shoulders of nice-sized bulbs in the soil. Can I harvest these now? Should I? Can they stay in the ground longer? I was expecting to harvet them once the stalks turned yellow/brown, but I don't want to prolong things if they should be pulled up now.

Also, one, and only one plant has bolted and is now flowering - does this mean anything? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: onion harvesting question

You certainly could pull them up now but if the leaves are still green then the onion bulbs could still get a bit bigger. If it were me, I'd wait a bit longer to harvest them. Of course, I'd pull a few up early to use fresh as needed.

Yep, it means the one that bolted should be pulled up and eaten. Onions that flower won't store well.

Rodney

o

They sound ready to me. I pull all my onions and shallots once half of them have fallen over.

I'm in western Washington, and the mold issue on onion stalks is rather tedious. I think they *might* get bigger, but not enough to leave that mold in the garden any longer than I need to.

Jeff.

o

• Posted by JLem 6b (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 16:08

Thanks for the advice. How do I know if mold is an issue here? Is it obvious on the stalks/bulbs?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here