Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onions just not growing well

Posted by rokosz 6A (lower NY) (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 18:26

(I have a very similar post for garlic...)
Not my first year with onions but the results seem to be always the same so I ask:
The results, (generally) early strength and growth -- with what seems to me to be too soon falling over & leaf browning -- and on harvest the results are meager. Some of it is nothing more than the set I put in the ground.

Specifically: Planted 2 cultivar sets from reputable biz in late April. All sprouted well. The leaves stood up, for a few weeks. Then they all fell over (I'm amazed when I read posts where people say their onions are standing up (in July) and show no signs of browning. Come to think of it I remember as a kid home garden onions developing seed heads...

When I do pull the brown ones I get about 80% not much bigger than the original set, and then 15% maybe 2x the set and the remaing 5% about 1"-2" diameter. There are a few that are still on the ground, green but there's none with more than a single "leaf" nor any standing up.
What/why could be causing such (stunted?) growth or (early?) death?
Please, any advice, wisdom, thoughts, anything please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onions just not growing well

Onions require a lot of water until about two weeks before maturity. I also add nitrogen lightly on a weekly basis while the onions are in their "greening" stage.

It may pay you this fall to take samples of your soil and have a soil test done so you can make necessary amendments and be ready to go next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here