Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

garlic harvest results

TJG911
14 years ago

the weather was beautiful today, very low humidity and temps in the low 70's so i decided to dig the garlic rather than doing it a week later surely in 88 degrees with a dew point of 66 to 73.

some varieties appeared to being just about ready to be dug while some varieties looked like they were ok to keep growing for another 10-12 days.

i started at the end of the bed where the german white was. i dug the 1st and the bulb was huge! so i dug all 3 rows of german white. some bulbs were large but none larger than the 1st. 1 bulb had some cloves out of the paper wrapper. so 23 good, 1 bad.

the korean red was next in the bed and looked to be ready to dig as the lower half of the plants were drying up. again the 1st bulb was huge none of the others were as big. korean red doesn't get that big and most bulbs were average to slightly larger than i have grown in the past. the odd thing is that 8 bulbs are pure white while the rest are red. now i wonder how there are 8 white bulbs? believe me i am extremely careful when digging, drying, storing and selecting cloves to plant. i label everything and keep a map in the house of what is what whether in the shed drying or when planting. i keep each variety in a separate labeled bag when selecting cloves to be planted. i store them with a fool proof labeling system in the basement. believe me i am totally anal about this so i can't imagine i mixed any cloves up. i can't recall if the bulbs i selected those cloves from were white but since i was so surprised that i have to think not. anyway, 24 good bulbs and i'll only plant cloves from the red bulbs. i'd think that korean red should have a reddish wrapper so i have to think i mixed some of these up, if so it was last year's planting as i used my planting guide incorrectly so i may have thought some plants were korean red when they were german something.

next was german red. what a waste of space! very small bulbs and i will not plant this variety again even tho i have grown it now for 3 years. the bulbs are 1/2 the size of what i expected and i did not expect huge bulbs. 24 good bulbs.

now here's where i may have been too hasty. i have 2 different groups of music. i group is my music from seed i have grown for 3 years, the other is from a local organic farmer. i called it gauger's music as his last name is gauger. i wanted to see the size and taste difference between his music and mine so i bought $25 of his garlic last august. a friend bought into his csa and his music had reddish tints on the wrapper and the bulbs were big even for music. i can't remember now if any of my gauger's music bulbs have red on them.

gauger's music plants' had just 1 set of lower leaves dying and the plants looked like they need another 10 to 12 days. but it was dry and cool and i had it in my head to dig it all up so i started to dig. i got 1/2 way thru and stopped to leave the other 1/2 to grow. i dug 33 plants and 32 were good, 1 was bad. some pretty good sized bulbs but some not so big, this is why i think the plant's appearance said they needed more time.

i then looked at my music and these plants looked significantly drier. where gauger's music stalks are still green, my music plants have their stalks showing yellows and lower leaves are dying off so i decided to dig all of my music. this area of the bed gets just a little less sun and the bulbs were smaller than i expected and i'm sure it is less sun. music bulbs are usually pretty good sized and while some were some were a bit small. 65 good 2 bad.

so i have about 170 bulbs hanging in the shed and about another 33 still in the garden, i wished i left all of gauger's music. but some of gauger's and some of my music had burst bulbs and this is the concern because that lessens storage capicity. the cloves were not covered by the paper wrapper and they were open and apart from the other side that was enclosed by the paper. some big cloves so i may use them for seed.

all in all, i'm happy with the results. i have to find a replacement for german red. i may go back to growing nootka rose, a softneck. i have 2 or 3 bulbs of nootka rose still left and they are still as hard as a rock! no green shoots coming out of the cloves tho some cloves have a bit of green inside them but very very few. mind you these nootka rose were dug last july about the 25th or 28th. nootka rose is the king of storage! i'll have to buy some from another organic farmer in morris who i initially got all my garlic from. the really cool thing about nootka rose is it peels pretty easy, not as easy has a hardneck but nothing like the garlic from the grocery store. i have read that garlic will acclimate to your climate so my nootka rose may eventually turn into a hardneck after years of growing it?

tom

Comments (7)

• wcthomas
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Tom,

To replace the German Red I suggest Russian Red and/or Estonian Red, both available from Karen & Mike at www.wegrowgarlic.com. I am impressed with mine this year - the plants are quite vigorous and the bulbs very large.

I have about 1/3 of my 250 bulbs in so far and expect to complete harvest over the next 7-10 days, a bit later than last year.

TomNJ

• TJG911
    Original Author
    14 years ago

just to correct something i said that is not true, softneck garlic does not change to hardneck if grown over time in the north. i swear i read this somewhere.

sometimes a softneck will put up a scape but it's less than 5% of the plants. softnecks do not change to hardneck.

tom

• bloosquall
    14 years ago

I had a good year with German Red, I keep about 50 around just in case I change my mind and want to grow them again. I doubt that will ever happen since they are a roc and I hate growing the rocs. But, I have some nice ones if you change your mind.

I have 1600 Nootka Rose, this was an odd year in that 40% sent up a scape which ruined the bulb. In four years i've never seen that happen. I have a some Korean also...it should have a lot of red in the wrapper. you would know if you mixed the Korean with Music or German White...they are very different.

Yes, check out Karens site, she's the best. I had great results with the Estonian also.

Glad you had a good season Tig

• namfon
    14 years ago

What Temps and Humidity level do you all cure the bulbs at and about how long after curing does it take for the stems and roots to dry enough to cut ?

TIA
    Nam

• kjmatson
    14 years ago

I let mine hang upside down in my shed with the doors and windows open for about 2 - 3 weeks. I sort out my garlic for replanting and leave them in the shed in a cardboard box. The temperature is cooler than outside everyday by maybe 10 degrees.

• TJG911
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i also hang my garlic in my shed but i hang it with the bulb down, like it grew. i leave it out there for about 3-4 weeks. what ever the temperatures and humidity are is what they are, this is not inside the house. around here that's in the low 80's to low 90's typically and humidity is typically 50-100%. it is seldom in the 70's and the humidity is seldom below 50%. my shed is shaded so it probably is not as hot as if it were in the open. i leave the sliding door open so there is not much cross air circulation as there is no other opening other than a small window at the peak that is open.

tom

• TJG911
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i dug the rest of the music today and the bulbs are not any larger than the other music i dug on the 19th. i thought an wxtra 11 days would have allowed the cloves to get larger. very little sun must be to blame as music is usually quite a bit larger than these bulbs.

tom