Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Onions After the Summer Solstice

Posted by peter_6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 18:43

I planted a second onion crop (sets) in late June. I was told that the hours of daylight would be all wrong and the crop wouldn't prosper. What is the truth of the matter? Regards, Peter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Onions After the Summer Solstice

A lot depends on what part of the country you live in. There are short day and long day onions. Maybe the Dixondale Farms site will be able to steer you in the right direction.

http://www.dixondalefarms.com/

o

I've never done it but I'm pretty sure planting onions in June isn't going to work for exactly the reason you were told. Onions are photoperiod sensitive and form bulbs when the days lengthen and get to a specific amount depending on the type of the onion. What you should get would be a bunch of onion tops that you could use for scallions but I doubt you'd get bulbs since by the time the onions have enough top growth to give a decent bulb, you'll be out of the daylight they want.

o

Thanks for the info. I'm in southeast Michigan. Regards, Peter.

o

mi? will not work. period. you'll get scallions and that's ok but not bulbs.

i planted 200 sets (i hate sets and advice always to NEVER use sets) i got in mid september for free from a nursery as they were tossing them. i got nice scallions and that was what i expected.

tom

o

tig: seeds, or plants for best results? If seeds, do you start them indoors? Regards, Peter.

o

Peter - either will work though you have more flexibility with seeds. For plants, they go in about early April for your zone (about a month before the last frost) and seeds are started indoors around 10 weeks before the last frost date (you want them to be about the thickness of a pencil when they're set out).

o

makalu pretty much summed it up.

personally, i'd go with seeds for the ability to get the variety you want. of course then you need promix as a stating medium, grow lights would help greatly. plants do fine as long as you buy them local and don't stress them in shipping. at least you can look at them before you buy them.

tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here