Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to transplant onions

Posted by brien_nz New Zealand (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 18:45

I sowed my Sweet Walla Walla in late summer (it is mid-winter now here in New Zealand) and now have a fine crop standing over winter. My seed supplier said that I can transplant the seedlings, but my question is when? Should I have done this in the Autumn (Fall)? Can I do it now? Should I wait until Spring? We can get heavy frosts here but it never gets so cold that the ground freezes.
Thanks
Brien

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to transplant onions

You don't have to transplant, just thin them to 6" (13 cm.) spacing.
But if you need to transplant them to a better spot, the best time is right when they start growing in the late winter, early spring.
Here, we either direct seed in the place they will grow all season or start in a nursery bed (or flats) and transplant before the cold/wet sets in (late autumn).

o
RE: When to transplant onions

Here in central California we grow our garden onions mostly from transplants. Your climate sounds similar to ours (light frosts). I just sowed about a 1000 seed of onions this morning (it is mid summer here). I allow the onion seedlings a couple of months to grow and transplant them about an inch apart and let them grow until I want to transplant them the final time in (about 6 inches apart) the garden in January/February (winter here). I double transplant to save room as my garden still has the summer garden growing in October. If I had the room I would single transplant in October.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here