Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Year Growing Garlic

Posted by herbalcroft none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 19:01

For those of you who want to laugh please don't. This was my first year growing garlic in containers and I waited patiently to harvest only to have such small bulbs. I planted in September in Maine in Pro-Mix with cow manure compost and fertilized with Miracle Gro along the way.

I am disappointed, but not discouraged. I'm assuming I have to supplement the soil a bit more. Any good soil ideas for garlic? Please let me know, I've ordered more garlic for this year and would like to have a larger harvest. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Year Growing Garlic

The garlic looks great, it's hard to visualize the size, what is the biggest diameter? It sounds like you did all the right things, it may have been the type of garlic you bought. All the cloves look properly formed and the root system looks good. I'd give you an "A"

o

I grew all my garlic (Sixteen varieties) in pots and planters this last year because we had to move in December and I needed them to be portable. I think I let them dry out too early and forced early maturation which resulted in smaller bulbs for me too. Of course the very large bulbed varieties are still quite large but still suffered some.

Also, if you plant garlic too close together the roots will compete. It's not enough to give the bulb room, you must give the roots room. I've read they need 49 square inches per plant which would be 7x7" on grid. Some recommend 5-6" in-row spacing and 10" row spacing. "The Complete Book of Garlic" is a great resource and I used it frequently. It's EXTREMELY detailed. You can skip all the parts about genetics if you want. :) Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Complete Book of Garlic

o

I agree with braeburn040. Those are some good looking garlic. It's not always about the size, it's about the reward of harvesting something you grew.

How close did you plant them together? How big were the containers? And how often did you fertilize?

Rodney

o

Nice harvest.
Smaller size could be due to the variety or the growing conditions. All in all very impressive for a first timer.

Growing garlic requires leaning a lot of trick of the trade. Some varieties grow better than others in a given location, some not so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here