Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
onion harvest mistake

Posted by vaherbmom va7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 20:09

My dd was helping me harvest my huge, beautiful onions today. I told her to cut off the green tops and she left only about an inch or so of the top of the bulb on. I'm looking at the onions and the stems are so moist and big I'm wondering if this will cause spoilage now?

I'm curing them on a wire shelf elevated on blocks on a covered porch. Any thing I can do to make them last longer/keep better?

Likewise, I had harvested all my softneck garlic about 10 days ago. Then I read on a blog that you must harvest it at exactly the right moment and now I'm wondering if I did it a little too early. I had a terrific crop last year, it cured well and lasted until it ran out in February. But maybe I waited a little longer?

thanks so much for any advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: onion harvest mistake

As far as the garlic goes, earlier is better than later so don't worry much. If it's harvested early, it may not be as large as it could have been. If it's harvested late, it splits and doesn't keep as well.

On the onions, I'm really not sure how well they will keep with the tops cut before curing. Someone else should chime in with advice for you.

o

I agree with madroneb, you are well within the window for harvesting soft neck garlic.

In gardening it is more likely that best practices are discussed (for a lot of good reasons) rather than what is possible. From my reading commercial onions are flailed (mowed), lifted, trimmed, placed in sacks, left to cure in the field, transported, stored, transported, etc...

Yours should be fine. It does not get any better than family and gardening.
Best of luck!

o

Well, what she did isn't ideal, its better to allow the entire top to dry down first, but I think overall it won't have a big effect. Just watch them for rot starting around the stem and use any that do right away or process for storage by freezing or drying.

o

Ok, thanks so much all. I will keep a close eye on them. They are huge and gorgeous! Great crop this year.

I read in a couple places that onions should be harvested when 1/4 to 1/3 have flopped over (warm, humid climate). Is that not right? I should wait until they have all flopped over and dried up?

o

My rule of thumb is when 1/2 the patch has fallen, knock the rest over, wait a week and harvest.

o

My rule of thumb is when 1/2 the patch has fallen, knock the rest over, wait a week and harvest.

o

sorry about the stutter, I guess I hit the submit button twice.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here