Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
after garlic harvest, another crop?

Posted by Lombill z5 Chicagoland (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 23:32

I'm a newbie to planting garlic and I'm about ready to harvest. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to plant for the rest of the year in the space where the garlic grew? Is there a crop that might be good for the soil that I can have growing there that still has time to grow here in zone 5?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: after garlic harvest, another crop?

I plant just about any of my fall crops in the beds my garlic and onions grew in. Some of my favorites to follow garlc are cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale, collards, lettuce and spinach. I've occasionally planted fall root crops like carrots, winter storage radishes and turnips but those usually go in my spring lettuce beds after it's all been harvested.
It doesn't hurt to grow a short term cover crop like buckwheat in the bed before transplanting your fall crops. It keeps the soil weed free, makes a natural mulch to transplant into and adds organic matter back to the soil. Just make sure to cut the buckwheat down about the time it's in full bloom if you haven't already cut it and transplanted into it.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 0:39

Here in zone 7/8 we plant late beans too.

o

Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 0:40

o

o

o

o

o

o

o

I have read that buckwheat is good for growing garlic. I am going to give it a whirl this year. I believe cover crops keep the soil in better shape anyway.

o

I've never used it before garlic. I just use it after an early maturing crop to keep the soil covered until I plant late crops.
I normally practice a crop rotation where I grow legumes the first year, vegetables the second year and a small grain crop like oats or wheat the third year. Then I start the cycle over again. I have never had better production out of a piece of land as when I rotate crops and use cover crops. I also have a lot less disease and insect pressure since I've started using sustainable and organic practices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here