Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Sensation Seeds

Posted by Geezer66 Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 23:33

First time to grow. Do the seeds from the flower head have a high germination rate? How many years from seed to a bulb that will bloom? Would you wait until next spring to plant the seeds or will they sprout this fall and survive the winter?
Thanks for any help with these questions. Geezer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Sensation Seeds

According to one source, it can take up to 2 or more years before blooming. The seeds should be sown around the fall equinox.

-Nick

o

I made the mistake of not deadheading my 'Purple Sensation' Alliums. I now have what seems like millions of the thing. They take a few years to bloom, but I believe they germinate the following spring. I don't bother to harvest the seeds when I want more--I just bang the seed heads together in the desired area and look for chive-like seedlings the following year.

o

I planted purple sensation allium last fall (my first year with any allium) and they bloomed and looked beautiful this spring. I dug up a few bulbs after the flowers died and saw that the bulbs multiplied. Am I correct in assuming that each clove will produce another allium plant if replanted this fall? If the bulbs are not separated, will a number of allium grow "together?"
Thanks,
foxydigitalis

o

I don't know the answer to your questions, but they interested me,too. So I'm hoping someone with the knowledge will see this and answer us. Thank you.

o

I am not familiar with purple sensation, but other alliums grown for flowers can be left in the ground. You do not need to devide the bulbs. Next year the clump will be bigger.

Alliums can grow quite close together and still flower well. If you see flower production go down in a few years, then divide them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here