Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alpsin_ny

Wanted: Pickled garic recipe

ALPSin_NY
17 years ago

Who has a geat recipe for pickled garlic?

Comments (4)

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

The folks at Ball developed this one as a result of numerous requests. They caution that it should _only_ be used with half-pint jars. Most canners I know ignore that injunction. But to be perfectly safe, you should follow Ball's advice:

Pickled Garlic

1 3/4 lb garlic bulbs
    2 1/2 cups white vinegar
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 tbls pickling salt
    1 tbls sugar
    1 tbls oregano
    5-6 small whole chile peppers

Separate bulbs into cloves. Peel.

Combine vinegar, wine, salt, sugar and oregano in saucepan. Bring to boil. Simmer one minnute. Remove from heat. Add garlic cloves. Stir one minute.

Put one pepper in each half-pint jar (slitting them helps, btw). Fill the half-pint jars to within one inch of the top with cloves. Add hot liquid, leaving 3/4 inch headspace.

Process in boiling water bath ten minutes.

You should be aware that sometimes cloves will change color when pickled; going blue or sometimes green. This is just an aesthetic effect from the vinegar, and does not make them unfit to eat.

• makalu_gw
    17 years ago

This site seems to be eating messages again ... what I tried to say yesterday was that there was also a good recipe for pickled garlic over on the harvest forum that did pretty well for me last year. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled garlic recipe

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Don't you hate it when they do that, Makalu? It's been happening far too frequently since Ivillage took over.

Anyway, that's the same recipe I posted above. Linda Lou just went into the full details of canning, which I assumed Alpsin already knew.

I find it interesting that Ball does not put jar-size restrictions on its pickeled onion recipes, even though they, too, are low-acid veggies.

• makalu_gw
    17 years ago

Gardenlad,

I wasn't sure on the recipe since hers was in cloves and yours was in pounds so I took a chance an re-posted just in case. And I agree it's strange that Ball has a 1/2 pint restriction on this recipe - it's so much easier to do them in pints so that everything fits nicely and it's much less work but it's alway best to follow the letter of the law at least the first couple of times so you know what's right. Maybe we can convince Linda Lou to investigae a full pint recipe just to get it from the authorities?

IVillage is sure eating a bunch more messages than ever before - I hope that the NBC acquisition will smooth things out a bit.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES