Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallots: What size for planting??

Posted by gponder 7/South OR (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 0:05

It seems I read somewhere that the smaller shallot bulbs were preferable for planting. Does anyone know what size shallot bulb I should save for planting? For garlic I always save the largest clove. Is it the same for shallots? It seems like it should be. Anyway, I would really appreciate your input on this as planting time is near.
Thanks in advance!
Glenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallots: What size for planting??

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 0:17

Glenda,
Eat the big ones. Plant the smallest. The bigger the sets, the more, and littler, will be the ones you harvest.
Actually, if you plant seeds, you will get the largest shallots when you harvest, however, I feel that seed planted shallots don't store well, at least here where its hot.

o

Coho:
Thanks for the info.Am I right with my thinking that you should plant the largest garlic clove to get the largest head? Also any tips for getting big cloves and heads? I planted gray shallots for the first time last year but the resulting cloves were pretty small. Thanks again.
Glenda

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 20:38

Do a search for garlic fertilizer. Perhaps one just garlic.There is a great deal of information.
There is a general feeling that you plant the biggest cloves from the biggest heads. you will do ok if you plant the biggest cloves from medium large heads. I have seen a comerical statement that you should plant only cloves from medium heads. I do both.
Lots of compost to loosen your soil unless you have Oregon sand. Then lots of compost to retain moisture and provide food for the garlic and shallots.
The only way to get bigger shallots is to plant smaller "sets" Even medium sets have many sprouts hidden in the sets. I am considering sprouting a few sets and then trying to divide them into singles and transplant. Kind of doubt it will work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here