Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any way to tell what varieties these could be?

Posted by elffriend zone 5 ON (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 29, 09 at 1:39

Last year when I was planning to plant garlic I just went to my local farmers market and bought some that had been grown locally. All I really cared about was getting something that would grow HERE and not something that had been imported from someplace warm. I'm in zone 5, southwestern Ontario.

I harvested my garlic last month and I seem to have two different types. The first has a wrapper that is purple and white, is difficult to peel and has lots of small to medium cloves. The second has outer wrappers that are all white, but the one right around the clove is almost chestnut color. Each head has 4-5 very large cloves and they are very easy to peel.

Any guesses as to what types they might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any way to tell what varieties these could be?

As there are hundreds of garlic varieties, it is sort of difficult to tell without a photo. Perhaps you could check out photos of different kinds on the internet and figure it out for yourself?

o

based upon what you said the 1st is a softneck and the 2nd a hardneck. i know that tells you nothing but it is probably the best anyone can tell you. i doubt pictures would help since there are so many different varieties many are bound to look alike. if they taste good then great!

if you want to know the varieties you are growing then you have to buy from someone that knows what they are selling you whether it's local or from a seed company.

tom

o

Not sure if this site has been mentioned before, but Google 'Heirloom Archive Garlic' and you might find something similar. Pictures are of the whole head and segmented cloves. Approximate weights are also given. An amazing site from my neophyte perspective.

Was able to find all the new varieties I will plant this fall, except for Persian Star. Good Luck!

o

only way you are going to identify the variety of garlic is to ask the person you bought them from. may be hard to do since it was last year when you bought them. other than saying the first one sounds like an artichoke, and the 2nd is a hard neck, thats the best you will do without going to the source.

keith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here