Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time to give up on my onions?

Posted by little_ken Auckland, NZ (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 4:43

I planted Pukekohe Long Keeper onion seedlings in early March- which were supposed to reach maturity in 115-120 days according to the tag.

So nearly 180 days later I have green stalks (some of which are quite big) with no sign yet of bulbs.

Do I give up and pull them out?

I'm getting ready to dig my garden over and replant for spring/summer and they're taking up space (and not, so far, earning their keep)...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time to give up on my onions?

Little Ken, I'm not familiar with the Pukekohe Long Keepers, but all onions are day-length sensitive. Good keeping onions, for the most part, are long-day-length types.

It could be that they aren't suitable for your area, because you might be in a short- or intermediate-day length area.

BTW, were you supposed to grow them over the winter? That, too, might have had an affect on bulbing---or the lack thereof.

o

Thanks for that. Last year was my first with the vege garden and I'm figuring things out all the time-

The onions were in the corner of my vegetable garden that gets the least sun - and probably also has poorest soil in the whole garden. It's very light and thin compared to the dark and heavier soil in the other beds. Also no worms in the planter box.

It grew really good tomatoes and the nasturtiums are very happy in there.

I'd planted the onions there so I could 'forget' about them till they were ready- it being the quiet back corner of the planter box where not much ever seemed to grow....

I've pulled them up and put some flowers (echiums, nasturtiums and borage)in instead -along with quite a lot of compost in an attempt to improve the soil.

I was working on the theory that if the plant centre sold the seedlings then it was a good time to grow them.

I have recently found the actual seeds for the same onion variety and they suggest planting in September for harvest in around March (the end of our summer and about 7 months of growing time).

So far everything has taken about a month longer to 'mature' than the tags suggest. I guess they're a guide and not a promise.

o

Days to maturity should always be thought of as a guideline rather than a hard fact. Too many variables are at work for DTM to be a promise.

Onions are heavy feeders, and that could be contributing to your problem. Except that you are apparently getting healthy plants. Bulbing is a function of daylight, and it's possible that where you have them situated they aren't getting the right light.

Other than those guesses, I'm at a loss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here