Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weed control in onion bed

Posted by daisyaday31 z7 NE AL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 8:09

Is it safe to use a pre-emergence herbacide in my onion bed prior to planting sets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weed control in onion bed

safe for what? Safe for the onions? Yes. Safe for your consumption? You would have to read the label and if it says so, then ask yourself if you trust that info.

Some folks use corn gluten, sometimes available at feed stores as an organic pre-emergent. I would trust that to be safe to eat since it is just part of the corn kernel, but pretty much anything else I would avoid in food crop areas. That is just me though.

o
RE: weed control in onion bed

I grow many beds of alliums, and do not need any herbicide. I mulch with thick, loose organic matter and leave that on thru winter and summer. Any weeds that do come thru can be plucked out easily. The sides of my berm beds are covered with paper and several inches of mulch, too.
I agree with username's perspective, and used corn gluten on beds that had more soil/sun exposure. It worked pretty well for the first try. A good thing to use where such as Sunberry or Yarrow have gone to seed before i got a grip on the beds!!
Anytime i can avoid a "cide" in the gardens that i feed the family from, the better. Just another opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here