Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any harm to leaving onions in the ground?

Posted by vickima z5 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 10:22

I've been growing copra onions for several years, and have always followed the instructions to "harvest when most of the tops have fallen over." Well they are starting to fall over now, and it occurred to me (eureka!) that I may not *have* to harvest them right now.

Is there any harm in leaving them in the ground awhile? First, I'd like to get their maximum growth, and second, I'm looking for a couple days with no chance of rain so I can sun cure them before moving them indoors where I'll dry them some more.

I've already been taking a few here and there to eat, but most of these are for storage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any harm to leaving onions in the ground?

I leave my onions in the ground until the neck is very soft and the leaves are no longer feeding the bulb. Many times I've left them much longer with no problems.

TomNJ

o

Thanks Tom, that's good to know. I'll leave them in the ground awhile longer then.

o

As far as I know the only harm from leaving them in the ground after the tops have fallen is that they could get sun-scald.

o

I have had issues with wireworms entering the onion through the root end when I have left them in the ground after they stopped growing. Then the onion starts to rot.

o

IF you leave them in the ground too long and you get a lot of rain they may start growing again.I have had this happen a time or two.Also once the tops fall over the bulb will not get any bigger. YOPPER

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here