Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achang89

Can Hardneck Garlic Be Stored for Fall Planting?

achang89
9 years ago

Since hardneck garlic does not store very well, I just wonder if it is possible to store the harvested hardneck for fall planting. I think most of the hardneck can store about 6 month. If we harvest hardneck in June, then we get to the end of the storing season if we plant them in late October or nearly November.

Is this how the garlic farms grow, store and sell hardneck for fall planting?

Comments (8)

• Mark
    9 years ago

I think you've got your numbers wrong. Most of my hardneck garlics keep till march. My softneck keeps maybe a month or two longer.
    There's absolutely no reason any garlic won't keep till planting time unless it's damage, diseased or stored poorly.
    -Mark

• malna
    9 years ago

Yes. All of my garlic (porcelain and rocambole) stores quite well at least until October (when I usually plant). I set aside a certain amount for replanting and make sure those are cured well and stored well (and clearly labeled "DO NOT EAT"!!)

Mine tend to start drying out end of January-mid February, so we make garlic powder. Funny, I've never had them start sprouting or get moldy-they just tend to dry out instead. So garlic powder is a good use for them.

• achang89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If the hardneck can be stored to planting time, then it is great. I read that Hardneck stores less than the softneck.

• kristincarol
    9 years ago

You must have read wrong as you have it backwards. My softnecks start to sprout around the middle of December. The hardnecks, on the other hand, are still good when I start harvestingthe next year's crop in May/June. They just dry out as opposed to sprouting or rotting.

• planatus
    9 years ago

All of my garlic is in pristine condition in late October, when I take the best planting cloves from the best bulbs.

Eating quality does not begin to decline until Jan, when big rocamboles like Music start to shrivel (if there are any left, which is doubtful). Smaller varieties store longer for me. I have a little Korean hardneck that will keep for a year.

• little_minnie
    9 years ago

No it can't be stored. That is why garlic ceased to exist the very first year it ever existed. Same with vegetable seeds. They cannot be stored until next year and that is why we have no vegetables and humans have starved to death.

• Mark
    9 years ago

Too funny!!!!!!!! :)

• mckenziek
    9 years ago

little_minnie's reply strikes me as not very nice. In the absence of knowledge and experience, one may become confused or conflicted. Coming here and asking is a good way to resolve the confusion.

To the OP, good luck with your garlic endeavors! Don't refrigerate hardneck garlic as that may make it sprout prematurely.

--McKenzie

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County