Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting garlic and onions together

Posted by becksterorange 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 10:42

This Spring I planted some onions. I harvested them and I thought I got them all. But, I guess i missed a bunch that didn't sprout. They are starting to regrow in random places in the rows that I planted them in. I was going to plant my garlic in October in one of the rows that has onion in it. My question is, if I plant my garlic in the same row with onion, will it affect the flavor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting garlic and onions together

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 20:48

I am kind of surprised that no one else has responded to this. Growing adjacently will have no effect on the flavor of the other. Flavor doesn't migrate through the soil! It takes regeneration after some kind of cross-pollination, seed or bulbils or whatever to accomplish mixing of the species which is unlikely - (didn't happen for me, with onions, garlic and shallots in three rows adjacent to each other), so I would tell you, "do it."
Don't know how over-wintered onions work. Never done it.
hortster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here