Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting garlic from cloves?

Posted by flutesee 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 10:54

Can I plant the cloves from the garlic bought at the grocery store? I have some in my fridge that I haven't had a chance to use, and it has sprouts! I've never let garlic hang around that long, and I didn't know it would do that. I've had a basic veggie garden for the past couple of years, and this is the first year that I've had onions, leeks, and scallions. I've been reading posts by others, and it seems that if I want to plant garlic (and I do want to) that it is best to do it this fall if I want to harvest it next year. Can someone give me some pointers?

Thanks so much,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting garlic from cloves?

Chris, I answered this where you posted it on the other thread. You might want to check there.

And, yes, fall planting is the most common practice.

Garlic is a heavy feeder. So amend the soil heavily (I use dried blood, bonemeal, and wood ashes, applies at the rate of 1 cup per row foot, plust compost) before planting. And long about May, sidedress with the same amendments.

I would recommend, too, that you read some of the backpages to pick up insights into growing and harvesting garlic.

o

Gardenlad,
Thanks so much for your help. You are one of the ones I was referring to on the other thread. I'm a little envious of those of you that have the space for major gardening, but in a suburb of NYC, space is at a premium (plus, my husband would lose his mind if I took up any more of the backyard!)

o

Chris, there's always a way to grow what you want.

Growing up in Brooklyn, we grew herbs and veggies in flowerpots on the fire escape. When we moved to Queens I had a small patch (smaller than your current one) that was mine, for veggies.

When we lived in Illinois I had a garden that was only 20 x 20 feet, not much bigger than yours. But you'd be surprised what you can grow in a space like that.

Give some thought to intensive growing techniques and companion planting and you'll maximize the use of that space.

I don't think I would grow both Shvelisi and Music. One or the other of those. On average, hardneck varieties produce about 60 cloves per pound. So you might take that into account for planning purposes.

Given your space, I would think in terms of block planting, rather than row planting. And follow up the garlic with something like bush beans or brassicas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here