Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elisa_z5

Garlic problem: stinky dark rot, small white worms

elisa_z5
10 years ago

I posted this on the veggie forum because it looked very quiet here, but was assured that questions do get answered here -- and I need an expert! Thanks in advance, for any information or help.

I've been growing garlic for 7 years and it has always been pristine with no problems at all.

this year the plants looked great, the harvest looked fine (just a little later than usual), but I'm finding that some of the heads have some cloves that have turned black and are stinky and rotten, and some cloves have white wormy larvae in them (at least I think they're larvae). Some heads are just fine, and I can't tell until I open them up whether it will be a good head or a head with some problems.

I have been all over the internet to try to find information about what these two things are, and I'm only getting more confused. Is it Nematodes?

I did plant the onion bed next to the garlic bed -- against my better judgement, but it was the only bed close to ready when I had limited time to get the onions in.

Can I compost the garlic stems or would this spread the problem?
Can I plant my own garlic again next year (as I've always done)?
Does soaking in hot water or alcohol before planting help prevent the spread of this problem?

Comments (7)