Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recommendations for type of garlic to grow in z8b-9

Posted by jrgardner z8b FL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 18, 06 at 11:29

I would like to try growing garlic for the first time this year and understand that fall planting is best for my area. I'd like to plant late October / early November. Anyone have experience in the gulf coast with that timing?

Also, are their specific types that do best in my zone/area? What are your favorite sources for garlic?

Thanks in advance --

JR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recommendations for type of garlic to grow in z8b-9

I can't offer reccomendations 'cuz this will be my first year growing garlic in zone 8b. I'm east of Gainesville...I've ordered a sampler pac of Creole garlic from gourmetgarlicgardens.

I'm guessing I'll have better luck with this type garlic as it's supposed to do well in the south and some varieties are from Cuba. Cuba does have mountains though.

I'm not sure how I'll fare and I didn't get an answer here for my pointedly FL oriented question. I'll let you know how I do, when I do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourmet Garlic Gardens

o

Thanks for the info -- I'll take a look at the website and see what will work. Please do let me know how it goes -- Oh, one more question -- when are you going to plant?

Thanks,
JR

o

Zones 8-9 at least in Houston: Garlic cloves Nov 1-30.

o

I planted Rose du Lautrec and Creole Red on Thursday (Nov 2).

I have a few more varieties that need to be planted. I will plant them in a few days.

Curious to see how they do here...

o

Hey Kanaka__nui,

How did your creoles do?

o

I am in zone 9b and would also like to know what are the best garlic varieties formy southern California climate. Any feedback on varieties anyone?

o

I've had luck here in Central Texas with several types of artichoke varieties, such as Chet's Italian Red and Broadleaf Czech.

I haven't tried any creoles yet but I've heard good things about them.

What doesn't do well here are rocamboles. Don't even bother with those if you live in a warm climate. Purple stripes and porcelains are kind of so-so. Sometimes they do ok and sometimes they don't. Though your weather might not be as unpredictable as mine. I always grow several different kinds of garlic each year to hedge my bets.

I second the recommendation for Gourmet Garlic Gardens. They have good advice on that website for growing garlic in hot climates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here