Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic problems

Posted by Pink_Petunia 2a Cnd (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 12:52

My garlic once again did not form cloves. What is my soil lacking as a result of this?

Thankfully, garlic grows beautifully at my mom's and I can get my winter supply from her.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic problems

Did you plant it last fall?

o

more info is needed.wat verriety did you plant?wat zone are you in?when did you plant it?when did you dig it?we can start from there

o

I am more interested in how to ammend my soil so garlic will grow properly - manure? nitrogen? etc. My mom plants the same and her's are awesome. Don't ask me what variety b/c she has saved her own from year to year.

o

I am more interested in how to ammend my soil so garlic will grow properly - manure? nitrogen? etc.

Respectfully you have only told us your cloves don't form bulbs. You are being asked to provide specific information to try and help determine why that might be.

It may not be your soil that is the problem at all.

Garlic likes rich, moist soil. That is all there is to it. Amend well with compost, fertilze regularly during the growing season (every couple weeks) and keep well watered, but not swampy.

Leave the garlic in the ground until the tops brown and die back and then harvest.

If you would care to provide the information others have requested folks will try to assist you.

o

• Posted by Nelz z5b/6 NW PA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 13, 05 at 12:52

One of the most important question we need an answer to is:

When did you plant your garlic?

Other things to look at are what are the differences in care you and your mother provide?

Because someone else gets cloves and you don't, doesn't automatically point to one problem. It could be one, or a couple or a combination of several.

Is your mom in teh same zone, does she plant at the same time, same depth? Is the garlic cared for the same once in the ground? Mulched, watered, weeded, fertilized, the same?

There are MANY variables beyond soil condition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here