Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got my garlic today

Posted by pbishop 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 12:54

I got the garlic today from wegrowgarlic and everything looks fine.

I ordered Spanish Roja, Killarney Red, Chinese Purple, Bogatyr, and the Doghouse which is either Georgian Crystal or German White.

Go for the Doghouse garlic because the bulbs they sent are huge and it was very reasonably priced.

I'm looking forward to the Bogatyr but they are the smallest of the bulbs. The cloves do look big so if you have grown this type let me know what your experience has been.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got my garlic today

I also received my garlic from them yesterday and the bulbs are large and perfect as usual (German Red, Russian Red, and Estonian Red). They sure are fast - I paid on Monday and received the box on Wednesday! The rest of next year's crop will be replants from this year (Spanish Roja and Killarney Red), along with some German Whites I'll get at the Hudson Valley Garlic Festival in September. Never grew Bogatyr.

o

I'm expecting my box of Shandong and Bavarian this week, I can't wait!!! The doghouse garlic is a mix of Georgian Crystal and German xtra hardy/porcelain. Those two looks pretty much the same. German White is quite a bit different.

-bloo

Here is a link that might be useful: my page

o

I picked up my box this morning...it's all perfect. Thank you Karen & Mike

o

i am very impressed with www.wegrowgarlic.com ! i've been emailing them for a week and no matter how many dumb questions i ask, karen replies and is very helpful! i just placed an order.

now as far as the doghouse garlic, i have grown both Georgian Crystal (2 or 3 seasons) and German White (3 or 4 seasons). i can say that Georgian Crystal bulbs are small but German White bulbs are very large. the smallest GW are the size of the average GC. based upon this i'd think the doghouse garlic is GW.

tom

o

tom,

Just to clarify, the original poster described the Dog House variety incorrectly. The website describes Dog House as a mix of Georgian Crystal and German Porcelain. Contrary to the OP's comment, it's not German White.

Hope that clears up any confusion...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here