Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimster_gw

Marinated Garlic

jimster
18 years ago

I tried some marinated (pickled?) garlic cloves from the olive bar at my supermarket. They were very good and I would like to make my own. Any recipes or suggestions?

The garlic cloves were white and crunchy. They were mildly acidic tasting, so I guess some vinegar was involved, and they had a little oil on them. Some pieces of fresh hot red pepper were mixed in.

Jim

Comments (8)

• username_5
    18 years ago

type 'pickled garlic' into google and you will see lots of recipes. Take your pick.

Long story short the 'base' of all the recipes is vinegar (white, red, whatever you want) and garlic. Usually canning salt is used as well at a rate of about 1 tbs per cup of vinegar. Some recipes call for heating the salt and vinegar, others it is just mixed cold.

Beyond the vinegar and salt it is up to you if you wish to add anything else like mustard seed, hot or sweet peppers or even sugar if you want a sweeter taste.

Follow whatever recipe sounds tasty to you.

• username_5
    18 years ago

oh yeah, just wanted to add that if the garlic you had comes in a purchasable jar you can usually get the recipe off of it. At least you can know what is in it and by looking at other recipes you can figure out how much of each ingredient is likely used as there is usually reasonable consistency in how much of a particular seasoning is used in a pint or quart jar.

I currently have 12 pints of dilly beans (with garlic of course) aging in the basement. Your post has me salivating for the pickled goodness.

• jimster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the pointers '5'. I have found the assortment of recipes elsewhere on the web, but feel more confident in the advice I get from garlic fans here.

Dilly beans, eh? Maybe if my okra gets up to speed I'll have enough of that to pickle -- with garlic of course.

Jim

• sawells_mac_com
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I get the same thing from Hannaford, but there are too many red peppers for my taste. I tried putting some cloves in olive oil, but they are way too strong like that.

Thanks again

• wcthomas
    12 years ago

If you are going to use oil, or less than 50% vinegar (in water), be sure to store them in the refrigerator, and do not can them.

TomNJ

• alphonse
    12 years ago

"Any recipes or suggestions?"

A basic starting point is 50% acid,50% oil (by volume).
    Vinegars or citric juices are typical.

Olive oil is a standard but canola, peanut, walnut, sesame, etc. can be used and blended.

Spices can lend an ethnic character. Oregano/marjoram for Greek, Basil/Italian, cumin/Mexican for example. Most marinades have salt to aid infusion. Needn't be much.

Peppers to your taste.

Such a marinade is good for all veggies. Dense ones, like carrots and garlic, need a longer steep time.

Marinated items need refrigeration as Tom points out.

• skeip
    12 years ago

First, Never add raw garlic to any type of oil and expect to store it for more than a week even in the refrigerator. The anaerobic conditions that you are creating are perfect for the growth of Botulism.

Garlic can be successfully pickled and canned using a basic brine and boiling water bath.

2 Cups White Vinegar
    2 Cups Water
    1 Cup Granulated Sugar
    4 Tablespoons Pickling Salt

Place the Vinegar, Sugar, Salt and Water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook until sugar and Salt are dissolved. Makes 1 quart.

Do not add any Oil!! EVER!! It insulates the Botulism spores and doesn't allow the heat to kill them. You can add whatever DRIED herbs you choose for the flavor profile you want. Pack the jars with the peeled garlic cloves and pour over the hot brine, leaving about 1/2" head room. Lid and ring, boiling water bath for 30 minutes for pints.

I suppose you could do them like a refrigerator pickle also, and not heat process, but never heard of this and wouldn't recommend w/o some research. I do add garlic to my refrigerator pickles and it seems fine.

Also check out the NCHFP site and the Harvest Forum for more info.

Steve

• jillianmarie
    11 years ago

I LOVE marinated garlic! My favorite recipe is soooooo easy...

25-30 peeled garlic cloves
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    1 cup grapeseed oil (the health benefits are wonderful! google it!)
    Stevia to taste
    pinch of canning salt
    any spices you love can be added. I add basil and oregano.

Mix all ingredients into a glass jar and shake well. refrigerate for at least 5 days to marinate well. ENJOY!

Sponsored