Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with tiny onions?

Posted by UncleJohn z4 NH (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 14:30

My onion harvest this summer was pretty pathetic. I did not invest enough well water during our very dry summer, and the onion size suffered as a result. These were mostly grown from seed, and I am wondering if I should try and keep some of them through until next April and plant them as onion sets. If that is a viable plan, what is the largest onion I should use for a set?

I am not sure how much using them as sets will buy me, as I am fairly confident that if I start from seed earlier next year (end of January), and keep them watered, particularly in June and July, my harvest will be up to par.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with tiny onions?

Your onion sets will be 2nd year onions and will only be interested in going to seed.

Why not pickle them? Quarter size and under are great picklers.

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 0:24

You could also use them as scallions, just don't wait too long to use them, unless you want to save seed.

o

I have been reading about growing my own sets, and you could indeed save any smaller than a nickle to use as sets next spring. If they are held at temperatures above 55 degrees F for a month or so before planting, they won't bolt to seed right away. Larger onions (quarter size or larger) will bolt to seed, and those stored in cold storage and not held at warmer temperatures before planting will bolt.

Hey, try it with a few and see if it works. If nothing else, you can save seed and plant fresh the next winter.

Catherine

o

If onions are a nice little ball size, I blanch them and freeze them. They are very nice for serving with pot roast or other things you want to dress up. I also found that if you just leave them in the ground for the winter they will make a larger onion. This works with both seed started and sets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here