Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help...need these alliums..

Posted by pocketsquirrel69 z5 Ont Can (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 14:48

hello folks,

i need help... i lost these 2 alliums and i really need/want to get them going here again.

i need:
1. yellow potato onion
2. I'itoi onion

also i'd like some type of multiplier leek if anyone has some out there to spare.

i'll pay postage or whatever is needed... i have nothing to trade at the moment.

hope someone can help.

thanks,

Matti

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help...need these alliums..

Matti, I've never heard of potato onions or I'itoi onions so I googled em up and found an old gardenweb thread.

Now I want some too:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sources

o

Hi Matti,
Can`t help with the potato onions, but do have a few I`itoi

for postage. Lost my Catawissas and would love to trade

I`itoi for some,but can send a dozen I`itoi for postage.

E-mail me ~Scott

o

Jess, when is the best time to plant the I'itoi? I lost mine you sent me, I winter planted mine and they were no-shows come spring. I did try planting them in 13" deep containers late in the year, maybe that's why, but my shallots & strawberries had no problems in the same containers. I tried planting them similar to garlic & shallots--late fall for spring harvest... maybe they need time to get established before winter?

Have loads of catawissas. Also looking for Heritage Sweets... Martin sent me some but didn't get to plant them til spring and most were dehydrated by then & just rotted... a few came up indoors in seedstarting mix but died before I could get them in the ground.

Mark

o

Hey there Mark,Yes planting them now should give them time to get established before your winter sets in .Our "winter"
only gets down to about 28-30* F and the onions trot right thru it and really start galloping in early spring!
Haven`t planted any in containers,but if your shallots did
good then It doesn`t seem like Containers were the problem----probably "timing".
I also sent Martin some I`itoi about same time I sent yours.You might ask him how his fared,since his climate is more like yours than mine is.
If you like, I can send 2 dozen I`itoi for some of your
Catawissas. May have a few Heritage sweet somewhere in the
outback. Will take a look. ~Scott~

o

Thanks, is it still Julie Lane? Same e-mail as before? I switched from Adelphia to Verizon (.net)

Mark

o
RE: help...need these alliums..Matti

Matti, how far are you from Niagara Falls?

o

Hey Korney..I'm about an hour and 45 mins from Niagara. Why do you ask?

o

We are having a Buffalo-Niagara region tomato tastefest/party Saturday, September 8th, in Grand Island NY, about 10-15 minutes south of the Falls... maybe 100-200 different varieties, Best Tasting/Biggest/Ugliest/etc contest/prizes, etc. If you were close enough you could have picked up some stuff there... there should be some other Canadians coming from various Ontario cities/towns bringing tomatoes... it's a bring a dish (or refreshments) event... More info in the Upstate New York Forum & the Tomato Forum...

Mark

o

Mark, my address and e-mail are still current. Are you still
on Moreland St?

Matti ,your package is going out today.

AKA Peggy ,I still have 2 dz if you want to pay postage.

o

Twosunsaz, thank you for your most generous offer. You've got mail!

o

Yep, still on Moreland... Thanks!

o

thanks all........
got a few trades going on here....nice to see.

if anyone knows of somebody with potato onoins to spare.... please direct them to this posting...

thanks again folks,

Matti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here