Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shipping chives?

Posted by Narnian z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 05 at 14:56

Hey everyone. I want to send a big chunk of chives to my dad in New Mexico. I did a search online to see if I could figure out which would be the best way to send them. In the process I stumbled upon miscellaneous posts claiming that you shouldn't send plants in any soil due to government regulations. Also it seems that some people say to keep your plants moist and others recommend sending in dry soil (again, I just read that you're not supposed to send soil). The chives are not anywhere close to going dormant so I really have reservations about dry soil or bare root shipping. And one last question: it's still pretty hot in the southwest this time of year. Should I stall my chive digging on into the fall or can they deal with a couple of days of heat in transit? I'm really wavering here, so any light you can shed on my confusion is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shipping chives?

Chives are tough plants. I often weed them and throw them in the compost or weed pile and they still grow. You could dig your chives, wash the soil off, wrap the root ball with damp paper towels, surround the wrapped root ball tightly with plastic, wrap the entire plant in newspaper, and ship priority mail. Ask your Dad to plant the chives upon delivery and water often until the weather cools.

Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here