Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purduephotog_gw

Bulbils mid-season planting

purduephotog
15 years ago

Evening-

I've got quite a few bulbils from my scapes from this past season- the garlic bulbs are hanging up to dry and the scapes have been left in their brown bags.

I've pulled them out and, to my delight, found handfulls of these little popcorn kernels of garlic.

I'd like to replant them immediately and try and get another partial season of growth out of them before winter sets in.

What steps should I take to maximize bulbil propogation? I'm not going to plant in rows- probably grass- seed style (sprinkle on and cover with potting soil).

Unless of course there's a method out there- I haven't found any via google. I'd like to double up my seasons given that our winters are so long... and I can always use my garlic 'grass' in food.

Thanks in advance-

Jason

Comments (5)

• bloosquall
    15 years ago

Jason, Sorry to be a buzz kill here...it's not going to happen. Plant those bulbils in the fall (early October) and mulch them well to protect them from the hard freeze. I would say plant them maximum two inches down in a row and mark your row. the plants you will get are pretty small compared to the plants they came from. Give it three years and you'll get big bulbs from the original bulbil. Remember, size matters in the garlic growing business.

Travis

• purduephotog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nah- no worries. Thats why I asked. I've got a couple of weird ones that appear to have been growing on the scape itself (When I snipped the scapes this one was close to the leaves and I apparently cut the top of the cap off, but didn't remove the bulibs)

They're in little planting dishes while I prepare the ground for next garlic- it'll go in in about 2 weeks after fertilizer and roundup. I won't get my hopes up for anything other than winter garlic greens for the salads then.

Thanks Travis!

• vioboy
    15 years ago

Hey jason,
    I am so glad that you are growing garlic it is such a fun plant to grow. I would completely agree with Travis in every way shape and form! I would like to rederect you to some web sites that have allot of info about growing garlic from cloves and bulbils.
    The first is my blog site there I have lots of info on how, when, and where to grow garlic. And please leave a post and let me know if it was helpful to you!
    That link is....
    www.vioboy.blogspot.com

The second is from a farm that grows garlic, you will enjoy it.
    http://www.garlicfarm.ca/

• purduephotog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!

I've been using the Garlic Farm website extensively- but hadn't ever come across your site.

I'll be planting 80% of the harvested garlic as soon as the 3rd roundup sterilizes the area (currently has fertilizer being enriched into it) to give it plenty of time to grow some roots before the winter.

Thanks much!

• purduephotog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just as a followup- all the bibuls have sprouted (at least, a couple hundred have) and are growing nicely. They'll be moved indoors soon for the rest of the winter season (and given a grow light).

Pretty much all my planted garlic is sprouting right now... this worries me.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz