Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grocery store garlic vs. garden center garlic

Posted by phantom_white 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 25, 06 at 15:57

i've heard numerous people say that garlic bulbs bought at the grocery store are just as good for planting as those bought from the local garden center. i've heard equally as many say that grocery store garlic should be avoided, and to go with what the garden center sells. i'm a first-time garlic grower, so can someone point me in the right direction?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grocery store garlic vs. garden center garlic

Hi Phantom,

I planted Inchelium Red and grocery store garlic this year and the grocery store was much larger with nice fat cloves. It also matured sooner and tasted fine. Mind you I have not yet tasted any of the Inchelium Red, and have not yet developed a refined garlic palate, so I can't compare flavor, but I was quite happy with the grocery store crop. Be sure to plant only large cloves from large firm bulbs, and you may want to try more than one type for comparison.

Tom

o

i was going to plant Music garlic, but they were SO expensive... i guess i'll just stick with my store-bought garlic. maybe i'll post later on to let you know how they did. thanks for posting.

o

Phantom, grocery store garlic will grow just fine.

However, 99% of store-bought grocery is California White, arguably the worst choice of the 540 known varieties. It's problems are legion, starting with the fact that it doesn't taste all that good at its best, and tends to turn bitter.

Music is a very good choice; a great general purpose garlic that many people feel epitomizes what garlic should be.

Yes, like most "gourmet" garlic, the purchase price can be high. But consider this: It's a one-time purchase. Once you bring in your first crop you save some of it back for replanting.

I once did the math on this, and by the third year (with certain, perhaps unrealistic assumptions about replanting), your cost-per-bulb is something like 1.9 cents.

o

I started with grocery store garlic the first year. planted a small bed of it. the second year I found a flea market with garlic for sale. I bought 2 different types, 2 bulbs of each and planted them with bulbs from my first harvest of grocery store garlic.
i have recieved some other types through trades so now I am going to plant less and less of the grocery store kind.
However the grocery store garlic has allowed me to raise plenty for the table while expanding my garlic production for very little cost. I'll probably not ever quit growing from my original grocery store garlic as it is doing pretty good here, this will be the 4th year growing it in my garden. Now I grow about a 4x15 foot bed of garlic, which is plenty for 2 people. For my original cost of $5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here