Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan6_gw

Good hardnecks for Northeast

dan6
18 years ago

I am planning on expanding my garlic beds this fall.I am have been planting Music for the past 7 yrs. and have been very satisfied with my results.Tried Siberian one year,but the Music performed better for me.I am now considering Russian Giant,Russian Red,or Bogytar for part of the new bed. Has anyone been growing any of these? If so, whats your opinion? Any other favorites you would recomend? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks and good luck with your gardens.

Comments (2)

• UncleJohn
    18 years ago

In my northern garden this year, my three best producers were Chesnock Red, Siberian, and German Extra Hardy. My Music did fine this year, but were not as large as those three. Perhaps my colder weather suits Siberian better than your balmy RI clime ;-) I also have a mystery rocambole that I bought from a local farmstand that does very well for me, but I don't know its lineage.

I am surprised that you gave up on Siberian; I feel morally bound to perpetuate any garlic that does at all well for me. In fact, the only one I ever gave up on was a softneck (Mexican Red Silver) that did terribly in my garden.

New garlics that did fine for me this year include: Spanish Roja (that is a classic you may well want to consider), Purple Glazer, and Georgia Fire. The lone mediocre one was Korean Red, but I am going to give it another year or two to see if I can get it to adapt to my garden.

• frogy
    18 years ago

my byatar did great,small to medium bulbs but taste great.my rushon red is allso well.but by far my german white has the best bulbs

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting