Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall planting white sweet onion plants: your experiences?

Posted by blueberrier1 6/ky (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 17:48

Bought a bunch of 'white sweet onion' plants (3/16-3/4" diam.), at Lowes a few days ago. They also had cole plants that I plan to try. Have never seen fall onion plants in this zone before, but feel the green onions will be a spcial Thanksgiving treat.

Would you suggest blood meal, kelp, etc for the fall crop? What diseases in fall? It is still in high 80s here-so should I shade them? Any other suggestions for max success? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall planting white sweet onion plants: your experiences?

My best gardens are usually my fall gardens. Fall green onions are very easy to do. I always put back a couple hundred sets I buy dirt cheap at the end of spring, store them in my fridge, and plant them about now. They are milder growing in the cooling down fall than the warming up spring. I fertilize well for the spring crops because I'm looking more for bulbs but do not for the fall since I'm only looking at green onions.

Brook

o

Thanks, Brook. Per your advice, I will plant these in the former potato bed to keep these green onion size. Like you, I have keept extra sets in frig for fall, and had fair results, but am hoping these sweet onion plants are indeed sweet. The sweetest green onions I have ever eaten are the ones from my potato onions in the spring.

Today, I got an email from Southern Exposure, and included was a Fall/Winter Veg Gard Quick reference suitable for Zone 6b/Ctrl VA. Printed it for my notebook and will forward it to you if you like, as your zone is probably similar. They list suggested planting dates for many crops.

They also mention an EvergreenHardy White Green Onion,Deep Purple. Have to research that one. They say, the colder the winter, the more purple color. No mention regarding flavor.
mj

o

Does anyone know of a source to find onion sets for this fall? I'm in middle GA and would love to plant sets for winter and spring onions - wish I'd thought of this like BrookW earlier this year. Most of the usual seedhouses don't seem to have any sets for sale...

Thanks,
Cindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here