Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eshu_gw

Goku spring onions? ID assistance please

Eshu
10 years ago

Hi folks.

First time poster. Hope it works okay. So hereâÂÂs the story. My parents moved to a rural property they own but had rented out for years. There were 5 what appeared to be giant spring onions in various containers around the house when they arrived. They were the size of small leeks. Dad collected the seed and IâÂÂve been growing them for a few years. They are hardy, tough and enormous. When a recipe calls for an onion, I use one of these (pretty much all of it). They make growing your own onions very easy - you donâÂÂt need to store them, just leave them in the ground.

They get to 70-80cm in height and to 4 cm diamter at the bases. When they divide, they donâÂÂt divide down the middle - the new plant splits out from the base of the original, something IâÂÂve seen on no other onion.

It might be seasonal, but when I was using two last week they had me crying while I was cutting them. I havenâÂÂt noticed this before. Some of them are flowering now - it's the last month of winter here in Brisbane.

They seem exactly like spring onions but larger, though the leaves come out to each side as opposed to all around the stem. I donâÂÂt think they are âÂÂgiant spring onionsâ as I understand those get to 1 metre plus and are thinner. I canâÂÂt find any examples of round-leafed leeks and these are too tender to be leeks anyway. All I can come up with is âÂÂgokuâÂÂ. I donâÂÂt think theyâÂÂre Spanish calçots as that variety divides centrally rather than at the base from what I know about it. I think this describes what IâÂÂm growing but am happy to be corrected:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2214872/The-supersize-spring-onion-making-big-impression-British-dinner-table.html

Any suggestions? I can upload more pics if it would assist.

Cheers,
Eshu.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations