Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Recommend Some Garlic?

Edymnion
11 years ago

First time I'm going to try to grow garlic, and I honestly have no clue what to start out with.

I know I want a softneck due to my area and for the ability to put them into traditional braids, but beyond that I'm a bit lost.

I'm looking at some transylvanian garlic at the moment simply because, well, its from Transylvania. Figure if anybody knows their vampire stopping garlics, it would be those guys. =P

But flavor wise, is there anything you all could recommend as a blow your socks off "the grocery store never has anything even close to how good this stuff is" garlic, or on the flip side any "don't touch this stuff with a 10' pole" warnings?

Comments (7)

• plainolebill
    11 years ago

Red Toch is supposed to be a pretty good tasting softneck - I'm going to try it this fall. The only information I can find on Transylvania is that it has few but large cloves, a big plus as far as softnecks go.

Otherwise I don't know, hardnecks get all the good reviews as far as flavor. Good luck.

• planatus
    11 years ago

All garlic is incredibly different when home grown, crisp and juicy. I suggest staring with three varieties, and keep your first planting small. For Z 7 east, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange has a good range of varieties and types, but you need to order ASAP. You could grow a fiery turban or asiatic that comes in early, a mellow porcelain, and something else that strikes your fancy.

• gemini_jim
    11 years ago

So what is your area? Unless you're in the Deep South (Florida and Gulf Coast to S. Texas), hardnecks should also do okay for you. Here in the mid-atlantic I grow both hardnecks (porcelain & purple stripe) and softnecks (generic artichoke from the grocery). I'm going to try some Creoles and Asiatics this year. The Creoles have a reputation for fine flavor (I've never tried them myself--yet), and are adapted to warm southern conditions; most of them originated in Spain.

I recommend perusing the selection at gourmetgarlicgardens.com, and also checking out "The Complete Book of Garlic" by Ted Meredith. It will open your eyes to the amazing variety of garlics out there. And order ASAP! Many varieties are already sold out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourmet Garlic Gardens

• Mark
    11 years ago

As it's your first time growing i'd think any of the easier growing hardnecks would be a great start for you.

The link below is highly recommended.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Garlic

• jolj
    11 years ago

I have Dushanbe, & Chinese Red & White for the 2nd year.
    I am trying Georgian Fire & Colorado Purple this year also.
    I got my garlic from wegrowgarlic.com
    I have a single clove, but can not find it for sale.

• marycatt
    11 years ago

When I started growing Garlic, I ordered a sampler from the gourmet garlic web site.

I've tried many varieties and have people telling me what they like and not. So far, I'm' just hearing it tastes better than the store...

I like to grow garlic, but my husband and I will eat about 1 bulb a year....but it sure is fun to grow and share with friends and family...

Mary

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ended up with some bulbs from a produce market, but the only people on duty I could find had no clue what kind it was. But no worries, I'll see if I can get it growing this year, then use next year to get picky.

On a related note, I know its good to leave garlic in the ground through freezes and all that, my question is will they be fine in decent sized pots? I've got containers I just finished growing carrots and peppers in that I want to repurpose for extra garlic. I'm just half way concerned as to how the bulbs will react to being in an above ground gallon sized container when the temps will likely drop down into teens during the winter?

Don't wanna got to the effort of planting a dozen cloves in pots out in the back if they're just going to freeze solid and die. My container blueberries and the like survive it every year just fine, but they're in 25 gallon tree containers, so the added insulation may make a difference.

Anyway, they good to leave out and freeze in medium sized containers, or do they need to go sit in the garage during the worst months?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting