Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened

Posted by jzaleski 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 21:29

My garlic wont head up, I planted it in the spring, is this the normal, or did I do something wrong. I thought I'd have garlic by now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened

Garlic really shouldn't be planted in the spring as it results in smaller bulbs. For the biggest bulbs it should be planted in the fall and left to overwinter. However, even by planting in spring you should have gotten garlic by now.

What month did you plant? How deep did you plant? How far apart did you plant? Did you plant individual cloves or did you plant the whole, unseparated bulb? And is your garlic leaves still green or have they browned? It's a lot of questions but more info is needed to find the cause of your problem.

Rodney

o

I had a problem and could not plant in the fall, I planted them about ten inches apart and about four inches deep. The leaves are still green and starting to brown on the edges, I dug around one plant, there's not much of a head.I planted them very early same time i planted my onions, my onions were very nice, I have them drying. I was just wondering how long I should leave the garlic in.

o

Four inches is too deep, in my opinion. I only plant mine about two inches deep. That coupled with the Spring planting might be the cause of your problems.

As for when to harvest, I wait until about half of the leaves are brown which happens in July for me. If you wanted to you could pull one up now and use it as fresh garlic. You don't have to wait for garlic to be fully mature, it's fine to use anytime. However, if you plan on storing it then it does need to be fully mature.

Rodney

o

Unless your soil is like cement, 4" should not be too deep. 10" otoh, is farther apart than I have found necessary. I plant in raised beds, about 6" deep and 4" apart and get a majority of large to huge heads that way.

o

I just checked my garlic and a few of them are getting scapes, so maybe I have to wait a little longer, I wonder if I should water them. thanks for the replies.

o

I think you were right about to deep, the scapes did not come on until I moved the soil around. Well we live and learn and when we think we know it all we're out of here.

o

Onions and garlic do not need to be planted too deep.
I used to plant my garlic such that the tip of the clove was covered an inch . With the onion set, the tips slightly covered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here