Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unclejohn_gw

Cleaning Garlic (or not to...)

UncleJohn
18 years ago

I was getting ready to trim and beautify my cured bulbs, and I had second thoughts. The cleaning instructions in GGG are for garlic intended for market, and involve removing a wrapper or two. I am not going to sell any; aesthetics, while admirable, are really secondary to storage concerns.

About half of my harvest is going back into the ground, the rest is headed for my kitchen. Wouldn't the kitchen garlic keep longer if I don't clean it, leaving every wrapper intact? The dirt can just as easily come off when it is time to cook.

-John

Comments (7)

• username_5
    18 years ago

I don't clean onion or garlic. I pull it out of the ground and let it cure outside. Most of the dirt comes off this way, but not all. Good enough for me. I don't cure it only to remove the dry layers of skin.

• garliclady
    18 years ago

We don't clean planting stock but anything I am going to use in the kitchen I would at least clean a little. I clean by taking off one paper layer. We cut our roots at harvest so they are already pretty clean.

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

I actually wash mine. Started a couple years back, when it was so wet the only way I could get the claysoil off them was to swish them around in a bucket of water. I then laid them out on a board, out of direct sunlight, until they were surface dry. Then I bunched and hung them as usual.

Suffered zero losses that way, and have done it like that ever since.

And I've wondered, too, why we are told not to wash alliums?

• david52 Zone 6
    18 years ago

I pulled mine this year when the dirt was still damp and so had large clumps of dirt. I waited two weeks, then was able to knock it off with the roots, and in the process of trimming the stems, usually a layer of skin, which around here almost always is black with mold, comes off. I then hang them in orange sacks in the storage shed, and they keep just fine.

• UncleJohn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Although I had the best of intentions, giving storage a premium over appearance, I failed miserably. I cleaned a few bulbs, and then I couldn't help myself; I ended up cleaning all 200+. They were just too pretty, by and large, to leave them sullied.

More than half are going back into my garden in a month, so storage is overrated (or so I keep telling myself). Some are down to a single wrapper, but excepting a dozen or so who were left in the ground too long, they look great.

• garlicgrower
    18 years ago

I used to laboriously brush the soil off the garlic. Took way too long. Following my husband's lwad, I simply spray them off with a hose as soon as they are out of the ground (they are damp from the soil anyway). I bundle, label and tie up, hang in the barn for at least a month before going to the cellar. Those for gifts have alonger stalk left on them. Those for my own use are clipped short.
    I like to give garlic as gifts, they kinda have to look nice. I wouldn't want to hand someone a fist full of dirt as a gift ;-)
    Maryanne in WMass

• flodhesten
    18 years ago

I harvest my garlic when they start to get dry leaves, on the day when only six leaves are green. Then I quickly wash the roots clean and tear of one leaf. That leaves you with a perfectly clean garlic, no mold or dirt. After curing i cut the roots and stalk. This way your garlic have five good layers of wrappers.

Sponsored