Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swan necked mystery allium, what is it?

Posted by led_zep_rules 5 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 22:09

I have these odd looking things growing in front of my house. I am sure they are alliums based on their appearance and tasting a seed (tiny bulb). But I have NO idea what they are. We have had them the 2 years we have lived here, previous owner (Mom) doesn't remember seeing them. Please, can anyone help?

They look sort of like corn or grass when they first come up, green with individual side leaves separated by some space. Then the top bit gets really tall and swoops over horizontally and makes a puffy white bloom that has a green point coming out of it. Overall it looks sort of like the neck and head of a swan in terms of curve and shape.

The white bloom part is now drying and crumbling and is full of tiny bulbs (like onions have.) I ate one yesterday, and it was sort of garlic chive-y tasting. Any idea what it could be? It is very interesting looking, so please look at the photo link and tell me what it could be.

Thanks, Marcia

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of my mystery allium

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swan necked mystery allium, what is it?

From what I see, your mystery allium is simply a hardneck garlic. Dig it up and you've possibly got a divided bulb or loose cloves under there. Plant those little bulbils back about 3 weeks from now. If all goes well, you'll get the same results next year.

Martin

o

Hi Martin,

I thought maybe it was garlic from the taste of the seed/bulbs. But I looked up photos of garlic blooming (on the internet) and found the purple spherical sort of blooms that many alliums have. So I decided that wasn't it, since these are so different. My garlic has never looked like that, or maybe mine never bloomed.

I plant what I eat from the store if it sprouts, and it never looks like this, although I have no idea what variety those were either. It is funny if this is garlic, the stuff I try to grow is never this large and vigorous.

Thanks,
Marcia

o

The garlic that you buy in the stores is a softneck. That normally does not send up a scape and may only get a few feet tall. Some hardnecks can get over 6' tall. There's also two basic types of hardneck bulbil clusters. One will have large bulbils such as your variety. The other will have tiny ones which cause the cluster to look like it may be an onion blossom or seed head.

Martin

o

There are some weed alliums (wild garlic) that do the same thing and that may well be what you have. Be aware that these spread and are very difficult to eradicate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here